Thursday, December 10, 2009

King Tut's Life Wasn't That Fun. . . Was It?


Based on the title, I want you to think about this question for a sec: How fun would your life be if you only lived for 19 stinkin years? I mean, you would barely have your driving license for 3 years! King Tut's life was actually pretty interesting.
Tutankhamun became pharaoh at nine years old. I mean, seriously, nine?! I know you don't get picked to become king, it's just a family heredity, but at age nine? Within two years of his coronation, Tut and his queen changed their names from Aten to Amun, signaling a return to the old ortho-something. (Actually, it's the old orthodoxy!) Later on, Tutankhamun married to Ankhesenpaten, his half sister. Please don't ask me to pronounce that one for ya 'cause I have no idea! During his reign, various military campaigns were launched into Nubia and Syria. That didn't affect Egypt much, but they knew war was still close by! At age 19, King Tut passed away. Americans would think that would be a very short life. I mean, most people live to be around 75 or so! However, in Egypt disease and infection caused the life expectancy to be in the late teens and around thirty if you were lucky. Tutankhamun was later then buried in the Valley of the Kings. The Valley of the Kings was a burial ground away from the pyramids to keep all of those sly, sneaky, and nasty tomb robbers from stealing all of the loot buried with mummies.
I know you're probably saying, "So, how again was King Tut's life fun?" Well, you have to think about how well he was treated and worshipped as pharaoh. I would love it if I were treated like a god!

No comments:

Post a Comment